Sunday, September 12, 2010

It's all in the name!

Penny is such a dumb name.  I don’t know what my mother was thinking!  Stupid boys have always made fun of me saying that I’m as worthless as a penny.  Everybody hates pennies.  People don’t even pick them up when they see them lying in the street.

Okay – don’t tell anybody, but I do know what my mom was thinking.  And that’s kind of a cool story.  (But Penny is still a dumb name.)  Our last name is Havan.  It’s supposed to be pronounced like the beginning of Havana – as in Cuba, but nobody, including us for lots of generations, pronounces it right.  Now we all just say Havan like raven – the bird.  But the real way sort of sounds like heaven and my mom says that I’m all sorts of tiny gifts each and every day which adds up to a real fortune.  So really that’s what Penny Havan (that’s me) is – a fortune.  (Okay, maybe it’s not such a dumb name.)

I’ve been thinking about what I could do to make my name cooler.  I could spell it weird – like my friend Su.  Penne . . . no, then the guys would say I was a limp noodle.

Maybe I could have my name say something about me.  I could be a writer or artist and be Pen.  Or maybe I could be a doctor – Penicillin.

Or maybe I should just be me – Penny Havan.  Kind of tomboyish – I like to climb rocks and trees and hike, sail, and snowshoe and I build a mean campfire.  Kind of girly – I like to wear aqua and fuchsia nail polish, dangly earrings, and french braid my hair.  Kind of artisty – I play guitar and organ and love theatre.  And I draw, paint, and make really cool hippos out of clay.  Kind of sportsy – I love ice-skating and swimming.  Kind of nerdy – I love reading mysteries and scifi and Eleanor Roosevelt is my hero.  Let’s face it – she was kind of nerdy too.  But she sure did love people and swimming and hotdogs.  So we’re sort of the same.  (Okay, so maybe Penny is a really cool name that really does fit me – lots of wonderful little things – a fortune!)